Love lip balm, lip gloss, and other lip pampering products? My weakness is a mint chocolate chip chapstick I tried a few winters ago. I decided to learn how to make it myself for a more sustainable lip balm alternative.
Want to pamper your lips this winter? Make this mint chocolate chip homemade lip balm for soft, smooth lips without any artificial ingredients. Flavored with peppermint essential oil and real chocolate chips, this homemade lip balm is a feast for the senses!
Table of Contents
Why Make Homemade Lip Balm
On our journey to living a greener and healthier life, we need to consider not only what we put INTO our bodies but what we put ONTO them as well. Traditional beauty products often contain a number of ingredients that I honestly cannot even pronounce…and I have a science degree! Of course, if I don’t know what it is, I am not sure I want to be slathering it all over my lips, face, and body.
Like this Mint Chocolate Chip Homemade Lip Balm? Try these DIY beauty products, too:
- Manuka Honey Lip Scrub Recipe for Smooth Healthy Lips: Honey lip scrubs with coconut oil are both antibacterial and moisturizing, making this the perfect winter lip product!
- Raspberry Sugar Scrub for Lips: A gentle and sweet sugar scrub for soft, kissable lips!
- DIY Moisturizing Body Wash for Dry Skin This DIY moisturizing body wash for dry skin is an easy way to restore the moisture to your skin that the dry air just sucks right out of your body.
I have been working toward reducing my exposure to artificial ingredients in my beauty products and making homemade lip balm was an easy step in the right direction. Of course, I have yet to find a natural deodorant or shampoo that works well but this homemade lip balm has only a few ingredients and is simple to make.
✯Don’t want to miss the next post?✯
Or join the private Facebook group for simple tips on going green!
Tips for Making This Peppermint Lip Balm
This homemade lip balm makes a wonderful homemade holiday gift idea.. Or, get your teenage daughter and her friends together for a DIY spa party and use this as a great craft idea. Many of the ingredients can be purchased organic from Amazon or even from your local grocery store.
You can skip the edible glitter if you want since it isn’t exactly green or organic, however, it looked so pretty I just had to put a few tiny sprinkles on the finished product! I think it gives my Mint Chocolate Chip Homemade Lip Balm a whimsical look!
Invest in a small double boiler. It will make melting all the ingredients much easier. Just head the shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally. The cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and essential oils can be added at the end and just heated through until smooth.
Mint Chocolate Chip Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
Remember that the ingredients in this homemade lip balm are flexible! If you want a firm lip gloss to put into lip gloss tubes, add a bit more beeswax. In addition, you can play around with the flavorings and colors of your lip balm recipe and the possibilities are endless!
- 2 TBSP Coconut oil
- 3 TBSP Beeswax
- 3 TBSP Shea butter
- 10 Chocolate Chips
- 1 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp peppermint oil (adjust to your own personal preference)
- small glass jar with lid
- double boil
- small tins or glass jars for storing
- measuring cups, spoons,
- Place all ingredients in a small glass jar with loose fitting lid
- Place the jar in a pan of shallow water and heat over medium heat for 10 minutes, swirling gently until everything is dissolved.
- Pour solution into containers and let harden 1 to 2 hours
- Sprinkle with edible glitter if desired.
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire and has worked in cancer research, academics, and biotechnology. Concern over the growing incidence of human disease and the birth of her children led her to begin living a more natural life. She quickly realized that the information she was learning along the way could be beneficial to many others and started blogging and freelance writing to share this knowledge with others. Learn more about her HERE.